September 22, 2011

Mutual Humanity in a Classroom

A week or two back, I made a few large mistakes when I was beyond tired. (A new school and new country will do that to you.) They weren't mistakes that I could easily recover from as they were in print and I was struggling to function let alone think clearly enough to wright the ship mid-class. My students were shocked that I admitted to a mistake! 20 minutes later I heard them talking in the halls that the other math teachers never admitted to mistakes...

Last time I checked students and teachers, even math teachers, are all human. To ignore our mutual humanity (I  have yet to fully understand what that means to me) and pretend somehow that I as a teacher am superior or significantly different is to lie to our students and will likely make our jobs in the classroom even harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment